October 4, 2010

My Awesome Bolognese

Ok, so I'm not a bragger but this bolognese recipe is seriously the best and my favourite of all time. I love it because its jam packed with flavour and it is sooo versatile! The chilli adds a bit of a kick to it and really lifts the dish from ordinary "Spagh Bol" to a "Blow your Mind" gourmet pasta dish! ... I've kept this as a secret recipe for too long.. it is unfair to be so selfish, so I've decided to share with you all! Afterall, everyone needs a good bolognese recipe in their repertoire, hope this can be yours too! x

Bolognese_1

bolognese_2

Rhonda's Awesome Bolognese

3 Tbsp olive oil + 1 Tbsp extra
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
2 sprigs Thyme - remove leaves off the stem
handful of Basil leaves
handful of Oregano leaves
2 bay leaves
1 can (800g) whole tomatoes
500g pork & veal mince
1/4 cup red wine
2 tsp chilli flakes (optional)
salt & pepper

bolognese_3

Heat oil in a medium pot with onions, garlic and bay leaves until onions turn translucent.

Add the can of tomatoes to the pot and break up the whole tomatoes with the back of a fork, bring to the boil.

Once it has reached boiling point reduce heat, let simmer for about 40 mins - 1 hr until it is reduced. At this point, throw in your herbs, chilli (if using - you can turn the heat up or down to your liking by adding more or less chilli flakes) and wine and simmer for about another 15 mins. Remove bay leaves.

Whilst your sauce is simmering, heat the extra 1 Tbsp oil in a fry pan. Cook the mince until browned all over. Add the sauce to the meat and stir. Season with salt and pepper.

Serving suggestions:
Traditional - Over some pasta with freshly grated parmesan
Funky - as the meat filling for lasagna
Naughty - over some buttered toast after a big night out... best hang over breakfast EVER!

Tips:
* If the sauce gets too acidic, add some sugar to balance out the flavour.
* This sauce tastes better the next day as all the flavours have developed and matured.
* Make a large pot over the weekend and place serving portions into ziplock bags, then place in the freezer for easy hearty microwave meals during the weekdays.

Bon Appétit ♥

bolognese

P.S: Incase you're wondering, that awesome bottle of wine in the picture above is David Hook's Rosé 2010, it is so incredibly light and easy to drink, perfect for the warm weather coming up! xx

21 comments:

  1. I looked through the list of ingredients and I totally agree with you that your bolognese is totally awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg!! Totally bookmarking this!! Looks super delicious and I have almost all the ingredients already! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. u are amazing
    I think this will be on my list of requests too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds delicious Rhonda! Love the use of fresh herbs :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummm nothing beats a good bolognese and yours looks great! I approve of the chilli flakes, I always add it to mine ;) And omg yes to having it on buttered toast the next morning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This certainly deserves the title of being awesome - and I don't give praise that easily.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like the addition of chilli to the bolognese-I always think tomato dishes really benefit from it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. yum i totally feel like bolognese now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ciao sexy pasta! looks a treat rhonda! i love the naughty serving suggestion as well..mmm bolognese jaffles!

    ReplyDelete
  10. looks awesome! Can you like quit work already and join the next Masterchef challenge?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think the addition of chilli to the bolognese will give it such a nice zing! Awesome, will have to note this down for our next Pasta night.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great Blog. In return here is something you will really enjoy;

    http://www.arabianbusiness.com/images/listevents/richlist_2007/Arab_Bank.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum! I love a good spag bol! And I love your suggestion of having it as a hangover cure... awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely pics, Rhonda! A lot of people rave about chilli in spag bol, there must be something to it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hehe, I like the shameless self promotion. And your spag bol does indeed look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Okay, who DOESN'T love some good bolognese. I the chili addition. I'm so going to give that a go next time.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Though I can't comment on its taste, it certainly looks like it'd be awesome!

    Hangover breakfast idea, likewise awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the addition of chilli flakes too. Perfect for a dinner on a nice rainy night like it is in melbourne.

    ReplyDelete
  19. sound delicious! must try that :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. thanks for sharing your bolognese recipe :) i love it when ppl share something they really love! i just need to get me those herbs to make this for dinner one night :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I want a naughty one right now - but not coz i have a hangover - it just sounds soooooooo YUMMMMM

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message, I'd love to hear from you! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...