June 7, 2012

Black Star Pastry

I'm having a really bad day. Like you know one of those days where one shit thing after another after another just happens and you can feel your blood pressure getting higher and higher? Well thats me right now. I don't really know how to settle myself down so I'm going to try and distract myself by writing a review post. Something I haven't done in ages!

Untitled
A pastry shop I've been dying to try is Black Star Pastry. I've heard so much about their watermelon cake, it both intrigued and astonished me that someone could use watermelon in pastry! And boy am I glad that they did!!

Untitled
It happened on a sunny but wintery Saturday when Wobbles and I decided to make the journey into Newtown to grab some brunch. I haven't been there before so didn't really know what to expect, except that traffic would be bad! lol When we finally got there (might have missed some turns) we found that it was more a walk in bakery with no real sit down seating. There was a giant bench outside but it was kinda crowded so we decided to get take away and settle down in North Sydney oval for an impromptu picnic.

I was like a kid in a candy store when I got inside.. which lead to me pretty much buying everything they had to offer.

Savouries
Untitled
Serrano Ham Sandwich on Olive Rustic Bread - this was Wobbles but I managed to get a bite before he devoured the whole thing! The Olive bread was wowsers!! loved the subtle saltiness that came through which paired very well with the ham

Untitled
Chicken, Spinach, avo and aioli on fresh bread (can't remember the actual name lol!) - Again wowsers to the bread. I think im a bit of a sucker for fresh bread and this really hit the spot as I didn't want anything too filling or would make me feel too bloated. The aioli was super yummy making the whole thing a hit combo!

Sweets
Untitled
Short bread with lemon curd - I could eat a whole box of these! The tartness of the curd paired with the buttery melt in your mouth texture of the shortbread was really orgasmic. Its perfect for a small pick me up!


Untitled
From top left going clockwise: Strawberry watermelon cake with rose cream, Lemon meringue with basil jelly, Bread and butter pudding with anglaise & Raspberry creme brulee tart

The basil jelly inside the meringue was such a refreshing surprise! It was a little awkward to eat though because the meringue kept touching the tip of my nose! haha

Unfortunately, the strawberry watermelon cake didn't really make the journey. As you can see half of it slipped off onto the creme brulee :( We ended up saving this along with the bread and butter and creme brulee for later. When we finally had the strawberry and watermelon cake... omg God Damn! it was sooo good!! the refreshingness of the watermelon followed by subtle floral rose flavours made me giddy and took me to Spring!! :D

We heated up the bread and butter pudding before we poured the anglaise over it. It had bits of chocolate laced through the pudding which was yummy but I thought the pudding a little dry for my taste.

I didn't get to try the creme brulee as I gave it to my sister but from her mmmss and ahhs I'm guessing it was pretty good.

Now I've just gotta go back and try the rest of their collection.. hopefully they'll have that lamb shank pie available too!!

Untitled

2 comments:

  1. Hope your week gets better Rhonda! The lamb shank pie from Black Star is freaking awesome, you have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Black Star Pastry! The watermelon cake is always precarious to eat, let alone transport, and I can't help but imagine you with meringue on your nose. lol. Hope things are looking up :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message, I'd love to hear from you! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...